Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Cookies and Rice Krispie Treats

Well, today was my daughters Christmas party at school and we could not go empty handed so this is what we brought?

Rice Crispy treats shaped like Christmas ornaments. It was fun and easy. Just make normal Rice Krispie treats and add some red food coloring to the marshmallow part after cooked them mix in your rice Krispies. Then I put on some gloves, sprayed them with a little pam and then rolled the rice Krispies up into balls. They do not stick to the gloves and pam. Then I let them dry a bit and melt some green chocolate. I put it in a Ziploc bag, cut a small slit at the corner and drew the design on the side. Then melted milk chocolate and made little u's in waxed paper and let them harden, then put a small circle of chocolate on the top of the ball, let dry and repeat, then when your second layer is still wet take your dried u's from your waxed paper and stick it on top of the wet chocolate to make your hook holder. Then you have an ornament! :) It was a huge hit, everyone thought they were so cute!


Then of course some Christmas sugar cookies. I had made some of these previously and had them cut and baked and put into the freezer so today I could just pop them out, ice them and they taste like they were just made. The icing I put on these is simple it is about 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 tsp karo syrup, and enough milk to make it spreadable. Very yummy!

Then of course over the last couple weeks we have made some other candies. My daughter and husband made chocolate covered peanut butter balls (his granny's favorite). We all made white chocolate covered pretzels (his dad's favorite), our cherries (his 98 yr old papa's favorite and everyone else) should have some juice in the middle now and be delicious. If you leave them out of the fridge awhile they get softer. Then we made some Buckeye Bars (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/buckeye-bars-111450.aspx except I used a real chocolate for the top not the cool whip type. I like it better and you use chocolate and add some cream to make it softer and that will be delicious), which is a peanut butter bar similar taste to the balls, just easier to make :) I have not made as much candy as normal this year so maybe I will make more? Tomorrow will be a baking and making day so we will see what is created. I think a chocolate mouse cheese cake, pecan pie and ???? If you have any suggestions or recommendations please feel free to share and maybe I will make it! Saturday starts Christmas celebrations with my husbands family.

2 comments:

Kelly Elliott said...

Girl, you are amazing! Great stuff. I made an awesome English toffee recipe if you are interested.

Thanks for sharing all of your goodies!

HeatherP said...

Thanks, I am always interested in a new great recipe! :)