Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve we do Christmas with my family and do a progressive dinner. We started out at my sisters house for dinner then we come to my house for dessert. This year I had plenty of desserts and we had lots for Christmas Day. At my house we also have a game tournament which I started as a surprise last year. We play round one connect four, round two checkers, round three battleship, and round four is operation. It is a lot of fun, my sister won this year, I beat out my brother who was last years champion in the first round. :) So next year hopefully someone in my family will win!! If you win you get the trophy I made up and have to return it the next year.

So for dessert we had:
Chocolate Mousse cheesecake, this time the cheesecake was not sugar free :)
Here is the cheesecake recipe I used, I just did not make it with a crust and left out the raspberries: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K45SS-Classic-250-Watt-2-Quart/dp/B00004SGFW Then I put a thin layer of chocolate cake for the crust, then cheesecake, then a double batch of chocolate mousse :
Mousse layer:
8 ounces milk chocolate chips
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup water divided
4 Tablespoons butter
6 egg yolks
6 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Have your cream whipped and chilling in the fridge.
1. Melt chocolate with 1/2 cup water and butter on low, stirring until smooth.
2. Cool for 10 minutes.
3. In heavy saucepan, whisk yolks, sugar and remaining water.
4. Cook and stir on med heat until mixture reaches 160*, about 2 minutes or I do it until it starts to bubble.
5. Remove from heat; whisk in chocolate.
6. Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled.
7. Fold in whipped cream.
8. Spoon on top of cake.
9. Chill.
10. After it has chilled then you can form it better into something that looks like a cake
11. Then add chocolate layer
12. Then add decoration chocolate and icing if desired
Chocolate top layer:
This is approximate, I never have measured. Mix maybe 1/4 cup milk chocolate and 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips with maybe 1/4 cup heavy cream or just enough to almost cover the chocolate. Melt all together. Should not have too much cream or it will be runny and really soft, but it needs enough so the chocolate is not hard hard when it dries. Pour over top of mousse and cake and spread around.
Then shave chocolate for top decoration and chocolate chunk pieces for border or you could make cocoa frosting for pipping around edges.


My dad does not really care for cheesecake so these were just mini chocolate mousse cakes. See recipe above for mousse. Then I used a new pan where it makes little cake bowls and I filled them with the mousse.
My sister requested cake balls which is what these are. They are red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, smashed together then rolled into balls. Then covered in chocolate. Mine are not as pretty as I would have liked, but I guess it's the taste that matters and they said they were great. Here is how to make them a bit more cute, I just did them in a hurry: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/08/hope-these-put-smile-on-your-face.html


This is a sugar free cheesecake. I tried to make it like a turtle cheesecake. It has a pecan crust, then I made a caramel sauce and put on top of the pecans but I think most of it cooked out since it was in a spring form pan. Then my sugar free cheesecake and then a sugar free chocolate gnash for the top. Here is the cheesecake recipe: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/31/Basic_Low_Carb_Cheesecake53166.shtml Then I used a pureed pecan and butter crust and melted sugar free chocolate chips with cream for the topping


This is a sugar free Strawberry dessert. It is pretty good. It has a meringue type crust, then strawberries, whipped cream, and sugar free jello. Here is the recipe: http://recipegal.com/lowcarbdesserts/Cool-Strawberry-Cream-Pie.htm

Then I had lots of candy, I made the pumpkin dip that I mentioned from Thanksgiving and everyone loved that. I had lots of cookies which barely got touched. Homemade hot chocolate and just way too much stuff to eat in one night! :) It was a great Christmas this year, I hope everyone else had a great one also!
Pumpkin dip:
Buckeye bars:
Hot Cocoa: Here is the main recipe. I tested this many times and I think it is best with 1/2 good dutch cocoa and 1/2 Ghirardelli cocoa that has ground chocolate in it. Then my family also likes it with peppermint so I take 7 regular size candy canes and grind them into powder and add the to mixture for a great peppermint cocoa.

No comments: